Hello, all. Skye here, for the first Feline Friday of 2015.
First of all, thank you to all who read my entries. Today’s picture is me, getting ready to blog. I give these posts a lot of thought because I want to do a good job. I am glad that my readers think that I do.
The big news today is that Anty can confirm she has destinked my notebook. She is very happy about that. Even Uncle, who has a super sniffer (for humans; cats are still better at smelling than he is. Nothing personal. It is a fact.) cannot smell my contribution. It is good to be off the hook for this one. Anty has learned she really cannot leave any of her notebooks on the floor, so even she has learned something from this experience.
Two things, really. One, not to leave books near my pee spot, no matter how tired she is, and two, how to destink a notebook doused in cat piddle. In case you want to know how, it is easy.
- Put the stinky book in a big Ziploc bag; it must be the kind that zips closed. Ties or flaps will not work, because this must be airtight. Anty says it’s worth going for the brand name on this.
- Pour baking soda into the bag. Use a lot. You should be able to see a couple inches of it in the bottom of the bag.
- Squeeze all the air out and zip the bag all the way shut.
- Keep it shut for about a week.
- Every day during that week, shake the bag about twice a day, so the baking soda gets all over the notebook, in between all the pages.
- At the end of the week, open the bag. Take the book out and shake it over the trash, to get any excess baking soda out.
- Smell the book. Does it still smell like kitty piddle? If it does not, your book is saved. If not, you may want to put it back in the bag and throw it out. Then buy a new book.
Anty also tried this on the notebook that got soaked by her water bottle, and this trick got rid of that smell, too.
She says that saving two notebooks she thought were lost for sure starts the year off on a good note. I think she is right. Now we will know what to do if this ever happens again. I do not think that it will (at least not the part about my pee place) but at least there is a protocol in place.
i think that is it for now, so happy new year to everybody. See you next week.
Until then, I remain very truly yours,
Skye O’Malley Hart-Bowling
(the kitty, not the book)